Reports to the Manager of Operations Administration. Responsible for assisting with administrative activities in the areas of inventory and materials management, and Mechanical and Rail Equipment Contracts in support of VRE’s Mechanical Operations department.
SCOPE OF DUTIES
• Must be able to provide proficient and detail oriented administrative support to the mechanical department to effectively process a high volume of invoices, purchase orders, requests for quotes, invitation for bids, and task orders.
• Manages all incoming Mechanical and Rail Equipment invoices via USPS mail and the department’s electronic mailbox.
• Must be able to provide detail-oriented business writing skills when conveying messages and communication via email, interoffice memo, and vendor correspondence.
• Must be able to proof all documents and have the ability to apply attention to detail when receiving edits for all written correspondence.
• Manages the receipt, review, and submission of payment documents of monthly utility bills for all station facilities and track utility usage on VRE’s Fredericksburg and Manassas rail lines.
• Prepares detailed Task Order, Purchase Order and Contract updates weekly for the department’s Equipment and Mechanical conference calls.
• Tracks “requested” and “pending” purchase orders through the warehouse inventory management system. Maintains an organized “approved” purchase order file at VRE headquarters.
• Prepares small, blanket, and sole source mechanical purchase order requests, which includes: working with project managers to research vendors and assist with acquiring independent cost estimates; preparation of interoffice memos; and entering purchase order requests into the accounting system to receive purchase order approval.
• Manages the process of communicating with fuel contractors to compile essential elements to receive, review, data enter, and process monthly locomotive fuel usage.
• Must be able to effectively communicate with VRE Project Managers to assist in the written preparation of operations related Task Orders and Contracts.
• Develops and organizes procurement and contract documents for Requests for Proposals, Invitations for Bids, and Requests for Quotations in accordance with VRE standards and policies for rail equipment and facilities projects.
• Must be able to maintain an organized department “working” folder for Task Orders, Purchase Orders, Requests for Proposals, Invitations for Bids, and Requests for Quotations.
• Manages the creation, and ongoing development of the MOS’ Standard Operating Procedures.
• Must be able to successfully maintain and update invoice reconciliation, and task order spreadsheets in Excel.
• Must be capable and available to assist with the annual wall-to-wall physical inventory count at the offsite (Fredericksburg) supply and inventory warehouse for one week during the month of June.
• Must be able to participate in special VRE transit events, which require interaction with the public (e.g., Meet the Management, Santa Trains, Customer Opinion Survey, Master Agreement Survey).
• Must be able to work independently and take initiative to communicate with office staff, vendors, and warehouse staff to resolve pending issues.
• Performs periodic review of supplier base and pricing for inventory items to ensure purchasing activities meet or exceed objectives for fairness and competitiveness.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of basic accounting and bookkeeping principles.
• Knowledge of intermediate Excel functions.
• Knowledge of customer service principles.
• Knowledge of inventory controls, processes and procedures.
• Knowledge and understanding of train equipment, parts, and goods.
• General knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations.
• Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines as daily tasks and projects are updated and invoices received for payment.
• Excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
• Business and technical writing skills, intermediate level preferred.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with attention to detail.
• Ability to research and evaluate vendors for pricing and quality.
• Ability to accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files.
• Excellent reading comprehension with the ability to exchange and convey written and verbal communication at a level sufficient to interact with coworkers, managers, and the general public.
• Ability to get along well with others and convey professionalism consistent with the office culture.
• Ability to use a personal computer and related software applications such as MS Office, and automated financial systems.
• Ability to periodically lift boxes and materials averaging 10-30 pounds.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required and at least 3 years of related experience. An Associate’s Degree and additional experience can be substituted for the educational requirement.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and maintain a satisfactory driving record throughout employment.
Must be able to work the flexible hours demanded by a transit operations environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified veterans are encouraged to apply. Background checks are performed on all new employees. No inquiring phone calls will be accepted in response to this ad. Qualified candidates interested in applying should submit by e-mail or mail a professional styled cover letter, resume, salary history and three confidential references (to include their address, phone & e-mail) by close of business, Friday, May 24, 2019 to:
Human Resources Administrator 1500 King St. Suite 202 Alexandria, VA 22314 E-mail: email@example.com
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required
VRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. VRE is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunities for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
About Virginia Railway Express
Commuter Rail Operation with 51administrative staff members