INGENIA Talent is acting as adviser to Aztec Engineering on the search & selection of a Roadway Sr. Project Engineer in Irvine, CA
WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER JOINING AZTEC ENGINEERING?
Established in 1992, AZTEC ENGINEERING GROUP, INC. (“AZTEC”) (www.aztec.us) is a full-service, multi-disciplinary engineering and environmental design firm recognized as ENR’s 2015 Southwest Design Firm of the Year. Headquartered in Phoenix, AZ, AZTEC ENGINEERING has of?ces in CA, CO, IN, NV and TX. AZTEC ENGINEERING has grown from a two-person Disadvantaged Business Enterprise ?rm into a corporation with 150 employees. In 2006, the company became part of the TYPSA Group, an established international firm with five decades of consulting engineering services in more than 50 countries, over $250MM in annual revenues and 2,600 employees.
AZTEC’s fundamental business strategy is to build permanent client relationships by providing superior value. The combination of a steady client base and steady growth enables the company to attract and retain the industry’s top talent. The skills, talents and knowledge of our team provide the real value in the services we provide.
Since 1999, AZTEC has been the lead engineering firm on many high-profile freeway projects including multiple DB and P3s. AZTEC’s current flagship project is the $250MM RCTC I-15 Improvement project (in Riverside County, CA) serving as the lead engineering design firm for the project under the Skanska-Ames JV. The company has also added several contracts to its Southern California backlog, with such clients as Caltrans District 7, Riverside Flood Control District, LA Metro (I-605 TI), and Orange County Public Works.
You will join a company that offers the “best of both worlds”; by being part of the TYPSA group, AZTEC enjoys the financial strength, operational/technical support and international opportunity of a well-established global design firm (ENR #111 -2017) but without the hassle that is endemic in large organizations. Because of the group’s position in both the global and domestic engineering arenas, there is a large variety of technical opportunities for our technical staff to develop their careers. Work is challenging, conducted in a very efficient environment and with true collaborative integration across the group.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Consider joining us as a Roadway Senior Project Engineer based in our Irvine, CA office to lead the roadway-geometric design and manage a broad array of freeway/highway/street/trail projects that includes inter-discipline coordination with drainage, utilities, structures and traffic engineering designs.
We are looking for somebody like you, with solid engineering experience, superior technical capabilities, able to manage budgets/schedules/tasks as well as mentor junior staff, while being responsible for overall delivery and client satisfaction.
As a Roadway Senior Project Engineer, you will perform a full range of professional design activities, serving in a key technical role on the engineering development and providing the framework for multidiscipline teams to deliver our projects…. Going more granular, your focus will be on the following key areas:
- Lead the roadway-geometric technical design aspects for a variety of transportation projects, including coordination with other team members and disciplines
- Apply a broad understanding of civil engineering concepts to reach innovative and interdependent solutions
- Prepare and check plans, earthwork/3D models, design calculations, geometric-fact sheets, quantities, cost estimates and reports
- Participate in inter-discipline quality reviews. Perform checking and design quality reviews
- Read and interpret engineering plans, specifications and reports
- Collect, analyze, and summarize project data. Prepare findings and make recommendations based on analytical data, including maps, graphics, charts, tables, presentations and written reports
- Perform effective technical writing and correspondence including technical write-ups for proposals
- Assist with business development and marketing efforts on transportation project pursuits
- First 3-6 months: Ensure the successful execution of the I-15 project; promote our firm within the local transportation authorities and other stakeholders. Coordinate work with other AZTEC offices in AZ, TX, IN.
- First 18-24 months: Develop new business in the Southern California region - Counties and Municipalities, Caltrans. Assist in building the Southern California Roadway team-recruit and hire
- Reporting Line: CA Transportation Division Leader-Transportation Practice Leader-CEO
- Collaborates with:
- Internal: Management, other team members leading to produce a quality designs/deliverables.
- External: Local authorities (CalTrans, RCTC, Orange County Transportation, etc); Counties and Cities; Local or National Heavy Civil Construction Companies
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- 12+ years of progressive experience demonstrating strong technical geometric abilities and modeling for civil engineering and transportation projects including inter-discipline coordination
- Work on Southern California transportation/transit agency projects, such as Caltrans, RCTC, OCTA, SBCTA, LA Metro, others
- Work with local transportation agencies-municipalities, counties, cities
- Track record in high-quality technical design deliverables and meeting scope, schedules and budgets on major transportation projects.
- Proposal & Marketing experience
- Utility coordination, ROW, Survey Control
- B.S. in Civil Engineering
- California P.E. certification.
- Other state PE certification
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (MBA, Transportation)
- Capacity to lead a roadway design team for geometric design, earthwork modeling, maintenance of traffic, plan preparation, quality reviews
- Project/task management- schedule tasks, assign resources, monitor progress, discipline communication and coordination
- CAD: MicroStation and/or AutoCAD
- Roadway Design & Modelling: InRoads, Civil 3D
- Project management: MS Project, Project Wise;
- MS Office
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with capacity to effectively communicate thoughts and ideas to peers, senior staff and clients.
- Alternative Delivery/Design-build project experience
- Communicative – interacts openly with others; can maintain relationships, prefers working in a team
- Consultative - A good listener and an agreeable person; consults with others; tolerates different perspectives and opinions.
Tasks & Projects
- Analytical - An analytical problem-solver, with relevant information at their fingertips; able to see pros and cons; good at working with numbers and handling statistics
- Conscientious - Conscientiously follows rules set down for their work, honors any promises, deadline or commitments made; handles multiple tasks; believes in ethics and values
Drives & Emotions
- Decisive & Action Oriented - Has a high level of energy and stamina; gets things done; makes rapid decisions even when short of information; enjoys risk and a fast pace of work
- Flexible - Adapts flexibly to new challenges and circumstances; able to change behavior; thrives on variety and frequently changing environments
- Start Date: June 2018
- Expected Travel: Sothern CA, 10% Other
- Expected Day schedule: 8.00am – 5.00pm (may be altered based on the needs of the company/project). The company supports flexible scheduling
Values & Beliefs
- Resourcefulness, with minimal direction
- Strong work ethic
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Capacity to work in a start-up environment
- Positive attitude
INGENIA Talent and AZTEC are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Ingenia Talent on behalf of Aztec Engineering
INGENIA Talent is a Boston-based retained search firm, with permanent presence in Houston and Miami focused on the selection of middle-managers and qualified professionals. Our ultimate purpose is to help building healthy and sustainable organizations; we dedicate our efforts to attract and select the required talent in a fresh way, adapted to the reality of modern work dynamics. We collaborate with Human Resources & Business Line managers so that they can invest more time on people´s development, engagement, satisfaction and productivity. INGENIA | Talent operates under the attractiveness of a start-up business model with an entrepreneurship, innovative and challenging mindset.