Essential Job Functions:
- Assist the Deputy Director and coordinates with staff to develop the comprehensive Utilities Water and Electric Capital Program.
- Establishes, coordinates and implements the Utilities Capital Infrastructure Program including system studies, related design and review, coordination with other departments and utilities, project bidding, construction planning, budget estimate and management, schedule and construction oversight.
- Track and report progress of projects and related budgets.
Policy and Procedure
- Perform field site visits, inspections and enforce policies and procedures for compliance; attend public meetings.
- Prepare and/or oversee assigned staff in the development and delivery of Council Memos, presentations, Public outreach information including processes, engagement activities and news media, and all other related communication material.
- Coordinate and develop training and learning opportunities that further develop the skills and abilities of Utilities staff in the area of effective project management.
- Responsible for capital projects from inception through completion including design, plans and specifications, project budget, coordination, permitting, construction, inspection, and testing.
- Ensure compliance with Utilities standards, bid documents, and governing regulations.
- Monitor work progress and quality of contractors. Identify, research and assist with solutions of problems with design and development.
- Review and approval for construction changes and payments.
- Assist and support other Utilities staff working on projects within their responsible areas.
- As applicable, manage design team contracts, monitors design process, presents design work to city council for input and approvals. Review all design documents for accuracy and best design practices.
- Supervise assigned staff and resources to achieve defined responsibilities, programs and projects.
- Exercise leadership and supervision responsibilities through sound judgment, focusing on quality improvement, managing and resolving conflict, fostering a culture of accountability, clearly defining responsibility and expectation, setting goals, providing motivation and performance feedback, recognizing contributions and encouraging train and development.
- Meets with assigned staff to identify and resolve problems, work activities, projects, and programs, monitors work flow, review and evaluation of work products, methods and procedures.
- Ensures that staff receive and utilize the training/development/knowledge and safety equipment necessary to safely perform and function in assigned areas of work.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget including preparing cost estimates for capital projects.
- Prepare project budgets, monitor expenditures to ensure costs do not exceed budget, forecast financial requirements, approve payments, analyze variances, and initiate corrective actions.
Core Competencies: Displays the following key competencies in the overall job performance to include knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of materials, methods, engineering science & technology, and tools involved in the construction and maintenance of electric and water infrastructure.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, budgeting, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote safety in the work environment.
- Ability to motivate and direct people as they work, and identifying the best people for a given task, in order to make satisfactory progress towards desired objectives.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to remain calm and make sound decisions in stressful situations.
- Ability to research, analyze, and make recommendations regarding utility infrastructure and related projects.
- Ability to work independently, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively through a variety of methods, such as email, written reports, and verbally.
- Ability to create and present informational packets to Council, Public, and other interested parties and organization. Includes organizing meeting content and resources as applicable.
- Skill in maintaining a high level of organization and orderliness.
- Skill in supervision and management of personnel resources
- Skill in advanced techniques of general business and project management principles and practices as applicable to assigned work.
Other duties as assigned.
Please apply at www.cityofaspen.com by March 13, 2017.