TRANSPORTATION OPERATIONS ENGINEER
City of Boulder, Colorado
Expected Starting Salary Range: $86,237 to $101,275
Total Salary Range: $86,237 to $131,373
Application Deadline: March 19, 11:59 pm MST.
The City of Boulder, Colorado is seeking to hire a replacement for the “Transportation Operations Engineer” position. The previous person in this position has been promoted which offers a unique training and mentoring opportunity for the person being hired into this position.
The Transportation Operations Engineer is part of a talented team of engineers who work closely and collaboratively with fellow staff, policy makers and the community to design, implement, operate, monitor and maintain a safe and sustainable multi-modal transportation system. The City has developed a Transportation Master Plan ( https://bouldercolorado.gov/transportation/tmp-update) and this document is the roadmap for all transportation policy and decision making in the community.
Essential Duties for this position include (but are not limited to):
- Evaluation of safety issues with a focus on the City’s Towards Vision Zero goals including the periodic development of the City’s Safe Streets Boulder Report (https://bouldercolorado.gov/transportation/safe-streets-boulder)
- Evaluation of potential changes in traffic control such as traffic signals, school zones and all-way stop control.
- Evaluation of the need for and type of pedestrian crossing treatments using the City’s Pedestrian Crossing Treatment Installation Guidelines (https://www-static.bouldercolorado.gov/docs/pedestrian-crossing-treamtment-installation-guidelines-1-201307011719.pdf?_ga=1.179343596.959697849.1445544522)
- Assist in the development and administration of the City’s Neighborhood Traffic Mitigation Program (NTMP). Assist in determining appropriate speed mitigation for a variety of different types of streets.
- Work with planning staff from GO Boulder in the development and operation of Complete Street designs including state of the art and innovative multi-modal transportation elements.
- Direct and manage the monitoring of transportation system performance through the collection of numerous types of field data.
- This position directly supervises professional staff including one Transportation Engineer, one Traffic Technician for Data Collection and one Signs and Pavement marking Supervisor. Indirectly this position supervises the City’s Signs and Pavement markings shop. May also supervise the NTMP Program Planner (new position).
- Periodic evaluation and modification of key transportation related policy documents.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or a related field.
- Minimum of four years of experience in traffic operations, analysis and use of engineering principles and standards.
- Professional registration in the state of Colorado or ability to obtain such within one year of hire.
- Demonstrated skills to plan, coordinate, supervise and manage the work of staff.
- Master’s Degree in Transportation Engineering or related field.
- At least four years of experience in public/municipal transportation operations and/or engineering.
- Prior supervisory experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for City of Boulder jobs are accepted through the NEOGOV on-line process.
Visit the City of Boulder Job Opportunities website (https://bouldercolorado.gov/human-resources/city-jobs) to submit an application. Please remember to submit a resume with the application.
Please contact Bill Cowern, Principal Traffic Engineer at 303-441-3266 or via email at email@example.com.