GENERAL STATEMENT OF JOB
Under limited supervision, performs civil engineering work including a variety of difficult engineering assignments with emphasis placed upon the application of engineering mathematics, principles and practices. Examines the design and construction of private and capital projects to ensure conformance with City Codes, Standards and Regulations. Inspects or supervises the inspection of private and capital projects under construction, to ensure conformance with approved plans and specifications. Work is performed under the supervision of the City Engineer or assigned designee.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Conducts field and office studies to acquire information for, and prepares detailed drawings, plans and designs for the construction, alternation and maintenance of Public Services utilities and structures; investigates the engineering feasibility and cost of proposed projects; prepares estimates of the cost and quantity of materials and equipment as well as labor costs; prepares specifications and contract documents; makes engineering calculations necessary to complete designs, jurisdictional permitting, specifications, cost and materials estimates and other engineering features; determines the most practical, economic and feasible materials required to complete specific projects. Acquires permits where required.
- Inspects construction, alteration or maintenance projects for conformance to plans and specifications as part of the completion of design projects; interprets plans and specifications to contractor, residents and city officials; gathers data for the preparation of cost estimates; verifies cost and material estimates and other Engineering features submitted by Engineers of Record and contractors; computes work progress for partial payments to contractors; confers with design engineers, consultants and contractors on design changes to resolve field problems; recommends major design changes to supervisor.
- Reviews plans and specifications prepared by consulting architects and engineers to determine accuracy and completeness of plans, and for compliance with sound engineering practices; confers with architects, engineers, contractors, and developers in explaining and interpreting design plans, and contract requirements; reviews and recommends change of orders for additions to, or deletions from approved drawings and specifications.
- Reviews all development projects for compliance with all applicable City Codes with respect to Engineering issues; develops methods, systems, and processes for administration of various aspects of development review by Public Services Department; creates reports that identify status of development projects for presentation to various groups; develops all agenda items necessary for administration of Development projects; Inspects and supervises inspection of construction of public and private development improvements for adherence to City Codes, standards and regulations; coordinates and ensures appropriate permitting by outside agencies for all public and private development projects as required; develops or assists in development of standard drawings and general notes to be included in all construction projects; participates in and administers the engineering aspect of the building permit process; reviews all plats for conformity with all codes and regulations and ensures recording of all right of way and easement documents with the County.
- Serves as project manager for assigned projects performing such tasks as authorizing and monitoring the work of consultants, contractors, and staff on assigned projects; performing all project-related administrative requirements including the preparation of Commission agenda items, material procurement, processing of purchase requisitions, etc; Monitors progress of projects; prepares change orders and maintains records of contingency allowance and consultant's/contractor payments; prepares punch list of any deficiencies; arranges for correction of defects by contractor during warranty period and conducts inspections at the end of the warranty period to ensure correction of defects.
- Manages several projects simultaneously in various phases of development including planning, consultant selection, design, selection of contractor, construction management, inspection and warranty administration.
- Supervises and reviews the work of assigned subordinates for completeness and accuracy, evaluates and makes recommendations as appropriate, offers advice and assistance as needed.
- Attends and writes reports of meetings; maintains comprehensive project documentation; schedules and conducts meetings with private utilities, outside jurisdictional agencies, developers, consultants, contractors and sub-contractors. Prepares a variety of correspondence to contractors, consulting engineers and architects, governmental agencies, private utilities and organizations; and others regarding the interpretation of specifications, policy determination, approval of materials and equipment, and workmanship standards.
- Receives, reviews, prepares and/or submits various records and reports including purchase requisitions, budget documents, activity and technical reports, invoices, correspondence, grant applications, graphs and charts, etc.
- Operates a variety of equipment such as calculator, computer, telephone, vehicle, computer aided drafting and survey equipment, and two-way radio. Uses computer aided drafting software to create, manipulate, edit and plot drawing files. Prepares a variety of complex engineering drawings, and advanced graphic design work, including the preparation of final plans for Public Services projects within the City.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as Public Services personnel, City department heads and employees, regulatory agencies, community groups and the public when required. Answers complaints by citizens pertaining to damage, inconvenience or nuisance created by construction work and attends community meetings.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
May be required to respond to after-hours emergency calls.
Performs other related duties as required.