Title: Assistant Civil Engineer
The Capital Division at the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) manages the entire capital process from start to finish, including scope meetings, design, procurement of contractors and construction completion. We are proud to be the country’s largest employer of landscape architects, with over 100 currently on staff working on in-house and consultant-managed designs. We also have a large pool of architects and engineers, in addition to resident engineers who oversee the daily activities of contractors, budget and procurement staff, and many other talented employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
• Under supervision, perform civil engineering work of moderate difficulty and responsibility for our Capital Projects division.
• Develop drawings, specifications and estimates of quantities for major civil engineering projects including structures, water supply, sewer and green infrastructure.
• Perform design calculations for water supply, storm water, sanitary sewer, green infrastructure and related drainage systems.
• Prepare detailed reports on the progress, budget and schedules of related projects.
• Coordinate project-specific interagency work, such as permits, filings and approvals. Prepare and submit permit applications.
• When directed, manage and review consultant designs.
• Conduct field inspections before and during design and construction, as well as through turnover.
• Supply Capital designers with engineering component designs and details.
• Engage in research, investigations, studies, examinations and testing of materials related to the functions or activities of the Capital Engineering group.
1. A baccalaureate degree in civil engineering from an accredited college and one (1) year of full-time satisfactory experience in civil engineering work; or
2. A baccalaureate degree in civil engineering from an accredited college and a master’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited college. A master’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited college can only be used to substitute for one year of full-time satisfactory work experience in civil engineering.
A degree in any other engineering area, or in any engineering technology area, is not acceptable.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
1. Proficiency in AutoCAD.
2. Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
3. Knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint, Photoshop and 3D Rendering a plus.
4. Ability to produce measured drawings and technical specifications.
5. Familiarity with design codes.
6. Excellent communication and organizational skills.
7. A driver license valid in New York State.
Salary: $60,000 - $70,000 plus excellent benefits
Posted 10/20/16 Until Filled
For external applicants, please apply through www.nyc.gov/careers
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 267990
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks
References will be required upon request.