- Applicable state and federal statutes, rules, codes, and regulations, particularly regulations governing the disclosure of information by a public agency.
- Principles of public administration, public information, media relations, community relations, and marketing programs.
- Project management methods and techniques.
- Professional journalistic methods, including research, publication, and presentation.
- Techniques used in the production and distribution of promotional materials, including but not limited to graphic design and performance measurement.
- Procedures for handling confidential material.
- Record keeping and file maintenance principles and procedures.
- Business and personal computers, and standard software applications.
- Writing and preparing a variety of communications materials including but not limited to reports, speeches, promotional materials, correspondence, press releases, fact sheets, and use of social media platforms.
- Demonstrated understanding of marketing strategies.
- Effective and concise written and verbal communications.
- Preparing information for diverse audiences including information gathering, analysis, and summary documents for the public.
- Representing the agency and speaking before the public.
- Using computer software programs including graphics, database, spreadsheet, word processing and web-based applications.
- Working independently, exercising good judgment, and prioritizing tasks.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, public officials, media representatives, government agency representatives, and the public.
- Promoting SBCTA’s projects, programs, and services through social media platforms and associated strategies.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, or a related field AND at least three (3) years of progressively responsible analytical or administrative experience in public relations, public outreach and/or communications programs OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Licenses and Certifications:
Possession of or ability to obtain a California driver's license and proof of automobile liability insurance may be required.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various meeting sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing in and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects up to 25 pounds.
Applications will be accepted until Friday, January 20, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. or until the position is filled. Applications may be mailed or delivered in person. Call 909-884-8276 for application and requirements or visit our web site at www.sanbag.ca.gov or www.gosbcta.com.
Complete the SBCTA application form. Provide a one-page written summary of your experience in the workplace and/or education relative to this position, describing work performed and the frequency. The information provided will be used to verify and evaluate the applicant’s qualifications. Failure to complete the application and clearly demonstrate fulfillment of the minimum requirements will result in disqualification of the applicant. Resumes in lieu of an application and/or faxed applications will not be accepted. The successful applicant will be required to take a pre-employment drug test.
Forward Application to:
San Bernardino County Transportation Authority
Attn: Management Services
1170 W. 3rd Street, 2nd Floor
San Bernardino, CA 92410-1715
Visit SBCTA at www.sanbag.ca.gov or www.gosbcta.com