Means Industries, headquartered in Saginaw, Michigan since 1922 manufactures Mechanical Diode One-Way Clutches, Controllable Mechanical Diode Selectable Clutch Plates, high precision formed metal powertrain components and subassemblies for the automotive industry globally. Means fosters a culture of continuous innovation as an engineering design house. We design, assemble and test some of the most sophisticated OWC and Controllable Clutch products for Powertrain and Driveline applications in the industry. Means has a passion for problem solving that drives everything we do. For the Love of Exceptional Engineering.™ Means Industries is a subsidiary of Amsted Industries (www.amsted.com), one of the world's largest transportation component manufacturers. Based in Chicago, Amsted specializes in products that serve the rail, heavy-duty vehicle, automotive, construction and general industrial markets. Amsted has 45 manufacturing facilities in 11 countries and employs more than 16,000 people throughout the world. Amsted is one of the largest 100 percent employee-owned companies in the United States. NO RECRUITERS PLEASE. *Please note that Means Industries is not offering visa sponsorship of any kind for this position.
GENERAL FUNCTION Designs, develops and improves new and existing products in conformance to customer specifications. Directs fabrication, conducts build and directs testing of prototypes. Analyze design concepts for fit, function, manufacturability and ease of assembly. Coordinate engineering activities between the Customer, Product Engineering, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Sales/Marketing and the supply base.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES * Develop new and innovative products for advancement of Means Product offering.
* Design and/or direct CAD Operators in the design of new products for development cycle only. Direct CAE operators to complete complex analyses for development projects.
* Complete backup calculations to insure correct CAE results.
* Verify that designs meet anticipated customer specifications and requirements through analysis and testing.
* Coordinates the fabrication of prototypes. * Assemble prototypes and document builds in conformance with customer/internal requirements. Establish test requirements and procedures, prepare product test plans, direct product testing, review test results and prepare reports.
* Prepare preliminary engineering cost studies. Assist with preparing design FMEA's for new products when required.
REQUIREMENTS Education: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Required. Experience: * 3+ years preferred in a Mechanical Engineering field. Applicable Co-op experience can count. * Powertrain knowledge preferred * Knowledge and skilled in Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics preferred Skills: * Knowledge and use of Matlab Simulink a significant plus * Ability to program in Excel * Excellent communication skills with ability to effectively communicate across multiple facets of the organization and outside of the organization.